A guide to finding happiness in your life and in your games.

Welcome Friend

A blog about finding happiness in your life, and in your games.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It's Never too Late to try Something Old


As gamers we're always on the verge of the latest games, the latest technology. It's what all of the headlines focus on, it's what is always fresh in our minds.

New new new.

It's rare that a game can stay relevant after a year or two, an exception obviously being World of Warcraft.

The gaming culture of always focusing on what's the latest doesn't always mean we're focusing on what's greatest.

After a game loses its time in the limelight we all tend to forget about it. 

Do you ever see a game on a store shelf and think Hey, I always wanted to play that.

Well just because it's a bit older doesn't mean it's any less fun. It does however mean that it will no doubt be a lot cheaper, or better yet, you might know someone who owns it and is willing to loan it to you.

The other day I played through Mirror's Edge, a game that's about two years old now. I had forgotten all about this game until I saw it on a friend's shelf. I asked if I could borrow it and I beat it in two days.



I really enjoyed it. It was wholly unique and the art direction blew me away. This was something I would never have experienced if I had stuck to only playing new releases.

It's never too late to try something old.

This summer two of my brothers (I have around 80) and I have been playing through Doom together in co-op mode. (It's the Xbox Live Arcade version of Doom.) It's been sitting on my hard drive for years collecting virtual dust. Playing through it with friends is an absolute blast. Doom is OLD, but if we had just dismissed it as an outdated relic we would have missed out on some good times. 



The next time you see a game you've always wanted to play in your local game shop or online, pick it up on the cheap, you might be surprised at how much fun you have with it. Or just look through all of the games you already own for something you haven't played in a long time, it might surprise you how much you missed it. 

So just remember...

It's never too late to try something old.

No matter how new or old your game is,

Enjoy your game.

Enjoy your life. 


1 comment:

  1. When I usually get a game it a few years old there are a couple of exceptions like some Final Fantasy games or InFamous 2. As much as I would like to I can't always justify buying a 60 dollar game when its new.

    Anyway I can be surprising the gems that you can miss when they first come out. I missed "The Elder Scrolls" series when I bought Oblivion on Ebay it became of one my favorite games. Another older game I would recommend is "The Legend of the Dragoon" for the PS1. Its a turn based RPG with one of the best story lines I ever played.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! No sign in needed! Be anonymous if you like.